Concordia University Chicago's master of arts in sports leadership degree is a 33-credit program. The program’s focus is on preparing graduates to assume leadership responsibilities in many key areas of the sports industry, including promotion and marketing, team resource assessment, organizational leadership and fiscal oversight.
The sports leadership program provides professional preparation for management and leadership positions with professional sports teams, intercollegiate and intramural athletics and recreation programs at secondary and post-secondary institutions, colleges and universities, and amateur athletic organizations. Profession preparation is also given for careers in private and public health and fitness clubs, corporate fitness and wellness programs, sports stadiums and arenas, and the sports marketing, management and communications firms that service the larger marketplace.
The master of arts in sport leadership is designed to enable students to:
- Develop skills for scholarship and research competency.
- Refine critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Demonstrate understanding of what it means to be a leader within sport organizations.
- Understand current issues impacting sport leadership, e.g., social, sales and marketing, political, economic, legal, international, political, technological, etc.
- Describe and understand the place of personal and professional ethics, and forces of change impacting leadership performance and organizational behavior.
- Evaluate cultural and economic dynamics that have impacted the emergence and development of sports and the sports industry in a global, interactive society.
- Analyze and apply relevant legal and ethical issues to the field of sports leadership.
- Understand the role of public relations, sales and promotion marketing to sports related enterprises.
- Pursue doctoral level studies.
In addition to the overall objectives of the leadership department and its programs, students will acquire the following knowledge, skills, and competencies in the sports leadership program:
Students who successfully complete this degree program will:
- Have a strong sports leadership and knowledge/information base.
- Understand sports administration, sports leadership theory, sports systems and personnel issues.
- Comprehend change theory and its practical application to the sports industry.
- Understand the need to monitor the human and material resources in an ethical and judicious manner in all aspects of the sports enterprise.
- Enhance their personal leadership development, skills and competencies and networking abilities.
- Culminate their sports learning experience in an integrated sports leadership capstone experience.
The scope and sequence of the sports leadership curriculum covers many of the primary sports leadership competencies recommended by the various national sports agencies and academic institutions.
As new knowledge, competencies, and skill sets are identified in the sports industry, the curriculum will make appropriate inclusion of such information.