- John Holton
Visiting Associate Professor of Gerontology
Director, Center for Gerontology
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Holton joined the CUC faculty in 2015 as the Director of the Center for Gerontology and a visiting associate professor of Gerontology. Dr. Holton is a former faculty member at the School for Social Service Administration at the University of Chicago (2002-2011), the Illinois School of Professional Psychology (2000-2001), and the School for New Learning at DePaul University (1998-2002). In addition, Dr. Holton has held numerous distinguished administrative positions, including Director of the Illinois Department on Aging (2011-2014); Associate Director for Transformation, Division of Mental Health, Illinois Department of Human Services (2007-2010); and Vice-President for Research and Director, National Center on Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Research (1999-2007). Dr. Holton's research interest is analysis of disparities in the delivery of health services to older adults. He is course instructor for GERO 6495, Program Management in Aging.
- PhD, Man-Environment Relations, The Pennsylvania State University; State College, PA.
- MEd, Urban Education, University of Hartford; West Hartford, CT
- BA, Political Science, Howard University; Washington, D.C.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "Neighborhood-Level Social Processes and Substantiated Cases of Child Maltreatment," (with Molnar, B.E., Goerge, R.E., Gilsanz, P., Hill, A., Subramanian, SV, Duncan, D.T., Beatriz, E.D., and Beardslee, W.R.) Child Abuse and Neglect; In-press.
- "Illinois Department of Aging model for caring for elderly with special physical, mental, linguistic, and other challenges," (with Chen, J) Welfare China; April, 2014.
- "Discourse on HFA: Practice, Research, and Policy Action Steps. Child and Family Policy and Practice," Review 3 (2), 19-22; Retrieved January, 2008 from http://www.apa.org/divisions/div37/APA37CFPPRWinter2007.pdf
- "Disparity/Inequity, Knowledge Production and Public Policy," (with Zambrana, R.E.) Journal of Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Social Work, 16(3/4), 169-178; 2007.
- U.S. Delegate and Illinois Delegation Leader, 3rd Annual China International Senior Services Expo, Beijing, PRC, 2014.
- Outstanding Volunteer, Citywide Parent Policy Council, Head Start, Chicago Department of Children & Youth Services, 2005.
- Outstanding Article, Child Maltreatment: Journal of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 2003.
- Principal for A Day, Simpson School, Chicago, 2002.
- Mayoral Appointment, First Vice-Chair, Chicago Committee on Urban Opportunity, 2001-2006.
- Outstanding Young Man of America, 1979.
- National Institute of Mental Health Graduate Traineeship, 1975-1979.