- Accelerated Undergraduate
- Dual Degree: BA to MA, Sports Leadership
Dual Degree: BA to MA, Sports Leadership
Demonstrate what it means to be a leader within sport organizations
The Master of Arts in sports leadership degree is a 33-credit program. The program’s focus is on preparing graduates to assume leadership responsibilities in many key areas of the sports industry, including promotion and marketing, team resource assessment, organizational leadership and fiscal oversight.
The sports leadership program provides professional preparation for management and leadership positions with professional sports teams, intercollegiate and intramural athletics and recreation programs at secondary and post-secondary institutions, colleges and universities, and amateur athletic organizations. Profession preparation is also given for careers in private and public health and fitness clubs, corporate fitness and wellness programs, sports stadiums and arenas, and the sports marketing, management and communications firms that service the larger marketplace.
The Master of Arts in sports leadership is designed to enable students to:
- Develop skills for scholarship and research competency.
- Engage critical thinking, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Understand current issues impacting sport leadership, e.g., social, sales and marketing, political, economic, legal, international, political, technological, etc.
- Describe and understand the place of personal and professional ethics, and forces of change impacting leadership performance and organizational behavior.
- Evaluate cultural and economic dynamics that have impacted the emergence and development of sports and the sports industry in a global, interactive society.
- Analyze and apply relevant legal and ethical issues to the field of sports leadership.
- Understand the role of public relations, sales and promotion marketing to sports related enterprises.
- Pursue doctoral level studies.
In addition to the overall objectives of the leadership department and its programs, students who successfully complete this degree program will:
- Have a strong sports leadership and knowledge/information base.
- Understand sports administration, sports leadership theory, sports systems and personnel issues.
- Comprehend change theory and its practical application to the sports industry.
- Understand the need to monitor the human and material resources in an ethical and judicious manner in all aspects of the sports enterprise.
- Enhance their personal leadership development, skills and competencies and networking abilities.
- Culminate their sports learning experience in an integrated sports leadership capstone experience.
The scope and sequence of the sports leadership curriculum covers many of the primary sports leadership competencies recommended by the various national sports agencies and academic institutions. As new knowledge, competencies and skill sets are identified in the sports industry, the curriculum will make appropriate inclusion of such information.
What is a Dual Degree?
Through careful planning and academic advising, a student majoring in Concordia-Chicago's Sports and Recreation Management accelerated degree program may move seamlessly into Concordia-Chicago’s MA, Sports Leadership program.
Completion of the 33 hours of coursework including the Master’s in Sports Leadership capstone
Benefits of a Dual Degree
- As a graduate of the Accelerated Degree Program, candidates will take three (3) fewer credit hours toward the Sports Leadership degree.
- Letters of recommendation are waived
- 1 course may be waived in the Leadership Studies Master’s Cohort (if eligible)—SPML 6130 Social and Historical Foundations
- No application fee
- No GRE requirement
- Transcript service will be provided upon completion of ADP degree
- Minimum of a 2.85 GPA upon degree completion
- Grade of B or higher in SRMP 2020
- Successful completion of Concordia-Chicago's ADP Sports and Recreation Management
- Official transcript
- Completed application for admission
- Objective statement