- Endorsements and Certificates
- Endorsement, Teacher Leadership
Endorsement, Teacher Leadership
The master of arts in teacher leader program at Concordia University Chicago is designed for those classroom teachers who are interested in increasing their job responsibilities and assuming leadership roles within their schools and districts. This degree is designed for active teachers who are not interested in becoming a principal. Rather, graduate candidates aim for leadership roles in a variety of capacities, such as department chairs, instructional coaches, curriculum coordinators, mentor teachers and community liaisons, in addition to other leadership positions.
Program Objectives and Competencies
Concordia-Chicago’s master of arts in teacher leader will enable graduate candidates to:
- Develop a leadership style to fit diverse populations, situations, and settings.
- Gain knowledge of leadership frameworks and models of shared governance and to understand and use teacher evaluation models.
- Become skilled in building and leading effective teams; including team formation, dynamics, management and growth.
- Become a self-assured and effective instructional coach, taking a mentoring/teaming approach in improvement of classroom instruction.
- Improve instruction through multiple uses of building and district student data, research-based instructional models, and collaboration with colleagues.
- Understand diverse learners (including students with IEP, ELL, underrepresented and at-risk, including the IL Social and Emotional Learning Standards.
- Serve as a facilitator of change within a school system and engage in planning and management of tasks to support change and implement initiatives.
- Work with families, colleagues, building/district leadership, and the larger school community for increased student performance.
The master of arts in teacher leadership is an advanced program for candidates seeking to enhance their teaching and leadership skills in the field of instructional leadership in educational settings. Concordia-Chicago offers endorsement and certification programs in principal preparation, reading/literacy education, ELL/ESL and special education, among others.