- MAT, Elementary Education
MAT, Elementary Education
The Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Education is designed to deliver outstanding teacher preparation. Upon successful completion of degree requirements, candidates are eligible for a Professional Educator License (PEL) with an Elementary endorsement from the State of Illinois for Grades 1 through 6. Concordia’s program emphasizes the following:
- development of core competencies in instructional planning, delivery and assessment
- respect and support for diversity in educational settings
- how to ethically lead learning
- the role of standards within the profession
- the commitment to continuous improvement
- the importance of reflective practice
- development of collaborative relationships to serve the learning of every student
Admission and Program Requirements see Curriculum page for additional requirements
- Application to and admission into the MAT Elementary program
- Complete 48 semester hours of coursework (including the Master’s capstone experience)
- A grade of “C” or higher must be achieved in all General Education courses
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on all coursework taken toward the Master of Arts in Teaching
- The Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency
- An ACT with writing section
- SAT with writing section
- Pass one of the above tests prior to being admitted to the College of Education as a Teacher Candidate. Please contact the Office of Field Experience within the College of Education for passing scores.
- Pass the Content Area licensure test (Elementary) prior to Student Teaching.
- Complete and submit the edTPA portfolio for scoring and report the score to the Illinois State Board of Education during the Student Teaching semester. A passing score on the edTPA portfolio must be earned before PEL will be awarded. The Illinois State Board of Education determines the passing scores for edTPA.
- The Illinois State Board of Education has defined specific General Education requirements for all Elementary Educators. Candidates for the MAT Elementary program must submit transcripts that document that they have met these general education requirements prior to entering the program.
General Education Requirements for MAT Elementary Program:
- General Education Requirements – Applicant’s transcript(s) must document that all course work submitted to meet General Education requirements has a grade of C or higher:
Content Area 1 - Communication and Composition
- Course in Advanced Composition
- Course in Public Speaking/Speech-Communication
Content Area 2 - Mathematics
- Course in College Algebra or higher
- Course in College Geometry or higher
Content Area 3 - Natural Sciences (one course must have a lab)
- A course in Life Science
- A course in Physical Science
Content Area 4 - Humanities (9 credit hours made up from two areas)
- Fine or Performing arts
- History, Philosophy, Literature
- 1 course in American History (Required)
Content Area 5 - Social and Behavioral Sciences (9 credit hours made up from two areas)
- Coursework from Psychology or sociology
- Coursework from Political Science, Economics or Geography
Applicants must transfer in one course classified as a Non-Western course or area of study.
Applicants must have transcripted coursework in an academic major/minor content area common to elementary education curriculum with grades of C or higher.